Thursday, October 27, 2005

Make haste slowly.

Today we took all the carpet and padding out of our 5000 sq. ft. office in Key West. Water makes carpet heavy, and carpet glue is sticky when wet.
So! There is an estimated 12,000 cars that are ruined in Key West. People here are suffering losses that are not being covered over CNN. We are not the Floridians that were not ready for 72 hours, and I actually respect Jeb for his admonishment (scroll down a bit). It isn't hard to do, it isn't a lot to ask of people. It's not expensive, nor unreasonable. Also? FEMA is doing a great job here. There is plenty available, and easily accessable. Scary as it is to have helicopters with nets flying in over the ocean, it's here.
And still? I love living here. Because moving hundreds of pounds of furniture and thousands of pounds of carpet and padding, one can still make jokes. I can talk the talk and walk the walk and say over and over that only the end of the world is the end of the world, and that yes there is work but it cannot all be done today, and tomorrow isn't that day either, and close the door in my office and cry for 5 minutes because I can't fix everything for everyone right now. I can't do a lot, right now - there are lists for things that need to be done everywhere, and I am on those lists. But the top of the list does not include begging people to come here on the backs of those who cannot get through thier days right now, have no mattresses to sleep on right now, are scared out of thier skin because they have no cars to get to work where there is no work to do right now. People who can get to work are spending 8 to 10 hours a day slagging out crap from thier jobs, and going home to slag the crap out of thier houses.
Pray and happiness to everyone.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there, I was recently doing a search through blogs for the keyphrase make money at home free. I happened to come across yours even though it wasn't particularly related to what I searched for. I figured I wouldn't mind contributing to your blog by commenting it. I've been quite busy to work on my blog lately but I am interested in topics being generally related to what I search for. I know you may not think this is an appropriate post to your blog, however I would just like to compliment you on your blog and I wish you well in future endeavors with it,

Sincerely,

Mark

p.s. I like to take a look at other blogs to get some ideas as to how I am going to form mine.

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

N.J. students ordered to take down blogs
A Roman Catholic high school has ordered its students to remove personal blogs from the Internet in the name of protecting them from cyberpredators.
Find out how to buy and sell anything, like things related to private road construction on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like private road construction!

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What am I to do?
buy hydrocodone

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home